Monday, January 14, 2013

Winged Set Animal Statue

First, if you haven't seen Setken's awesome winged Set painting, go see it! I saw that just before the photo shoot of my newly minted little guy here and had to laugh at the coincidence. Especially since we were both  at least partially drawing from the same source images in Te Velde as inspiration. (^_^)

I made this little guy earlier tonight and I think He came out pretty good, if I do say so myself...





The medium is polymer clay of course and because I had too much fun taking pictures of Him, here He is with the original background and a quarter for scale:


And with a votive candle:


and plotting against you from in hiding (o.O):



and on my hand like a good little Set animal (^-^):


Note the blotchy appearance of my hand? Yeah. I'm allergic to the clay. And I knew that beforehand. Making this little guy was a sacrifice of itchy redness. (Not serious, but annoying enough to keep projects like this rare.) 

He is currently dwelling in the Shrine at Set's feet. I actually am not entirely sure what to do with Him now as making Him was sort of just impulsive. :/ He's too fragile to do any traveling (had to glue that tail back on once already) and I don't really need two icons of Set... hmm. Don't know. For now I guess He sits at Set's feet until I figure something out. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! (^-^)

      I will say that I thought he was much cuter before I discovered he was cursed. :P

      Well, maybe not cursed exactly, but I learned that he likes to be in the shrine and should not be, under any circumstances, brought out into the living space to be set on top of electronics, or near open drink containers...and (sadly) I did not learn this after one incident, so... yeah.

      Dad must really like him. :P

      Delete
  2. Things I never expected to say about an image of Sutekh: "That is the tiniest, most adorable icon I've ever seen." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and as an afterthought, could you possibly wear surgical gloves while working with the clay to prevent future allergic reactions? Seems a shame to have to itch your way through creative worship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try gloves once, but even the thinest ones I could find still dulled my sense of touch just enough for me to have trouble working delicately with the clay. That and it removed my ability to use my nails. :/

      Delete
  4. I love that little statue!

    Thanks for the reference to my painting, and indeed - what a coincidence?!

    Even stranger is that another painting is in the works that features an almost identical to yours reclining winged Set sphinx! It is called "The black painting" and I most recently received the glyphs for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I’m looking forward to seeing that one :)

      Yeah, the coincidence kind of blew me away (even moreso now that I know you’re working on a winged Set animal painting!)—especially since you posted the same images from Te Velde that inspired me to make the sculpture. Or perhaps, less “inspired” and more like “compelled”. I had been re-reading Te Velde the day before and had this nagging feeling that I just *had* to make a sculpture of a winged Set animal—not even really wanted to as much as needed to. Then, not long after I finished him I was giving my hands a rest and looking about online through my list of Kemetic bookmarks and saw your painting—my jaw literally dropped.

      Either great minds think alike, as they say, or Set just really wants some winged icons about, haha. :)

      Delete